This is what we did:
- Grandma took walks around the neighborhood looking for milkweed.
- She found one of the little bugs and put it in a terrarium with a stick and fresh milkweed. Then, handed it over to the boys.
- We kept milkweed in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator and placed new leaves in the terrarium each day for about 2 weeks.
- We watched the little bug grow. He grew really fast! You have to pay attention or you will miss him spin the Chrysalis (and that is really cool).
- We watched him hang upside down for awhile - and then AMAZING!
- He shreds his skin? and he is a beautiful butterfly.
- After about a day in the terrarium he is ready to fly.
Did you know that monarchs eat milkweed as a form of protection? Milkweed is bitter. Predators learn that monarchs also taste bitter after feasting on milkweed and therefore leave them alone!