01 09 10

Friday, February 22, 2013

Pony Bead Bracelet

Toddlers and pre-schoolers LOVE to string items.  It helps with fine motor skill development.  Making a bracelet is such a simple activity and fairly inexpensive.

This is what we did:

  1. I purchased pony beads (you can get them at Walmart and the Dollar Tree)
  2. I also purchased friendship bracelet string.  Its just plastic string.  I like this stuff because the ends don't fray.
  3. Tie a bead to the end of the string and then tape it down to a flat surface.  This will prevent the kids from spilling all the beads from their string.
  4. Give the kids a bowl of beads and let them create their own necklace or bracelet.  Encourage older kids to make patterns or to count the number of beads they use.
  5. Tie the two ends to each other.
Both of my boys enjoy making bracelets.  I encourage them to make bracelets/necklaces while I make dinner in the evenings.  It keeps them content and allows me to get dinner ready without a lot of distraction.  Its a calming activity so the transition when Dad comes home is a lot easier for all of us!  LOVE that!

No comments:

Post a Comment