(The complete lesson plan is included after the instructions for the craft)
This is what we did for the craft:
- I purchased one canvas for each child. The canvas was sold in 3 packs and cost $3.00 per pack at JoAnn's (on sale for 50%). (Example of God's grace. I told myself that I would only do this craft if I could buy a canvas for each kid at no more than a dollar. I went to the store and they happened to be 50% off!)
- I used painter's tape to mark a cross on each child's canvas.
- The kids used a paint brush and tempera paint to create a RAINBOW on the canvas.
- After the paint dries, simply remove the painter's tape to reveal the cross.
I found the inspiration for our craft project on Pinterest: canvas art inspiration and this one too canvas art inspiration!
* I introduced the lesson using our puppet, Scotty the Lion. Scotty placed a mirror in a sealed bag. The kids pass the bag around to try to guess what Scotty brought. The clue was: God loves whoever you see in this bag.
* I showed the kids a picture of the Bible story: Noah's Ark. The kids explained what they saw in the picture.
* I used a model of Noah's Ark complete with animals and shared the Bible story with them. The kids each held an animal while I told the story and at the right time placed the animal on the ark.
* I explained that the rainbow is a sign from God that He LOVES us!
* We completed the craft activity.