This is what we did:
1. We started the lesson with the students entering the room and coloring a picture of Jesus's Triumphal Entry. While the students colored, a teacher traced the "Palm" of each child's hand and cut out several copies for each child (about a dozen per kid!)
This is a link to many coloring pages of the Triumphal Entry: Coloring Pages
2. I read a book to the kids: The Donkey That No One Could Ride
3. The kids made a palm branch craft:
* We used donated stir sticks from Sherwin Williams. I tied raffia (purchased at Walmart) and contrasting green and blue jumbo yarn on the notch at the end of each stir stick to add decoration.
* The kids glued their "palms" onto the stir stick. I put glue on paper plates and gave each child a q-tip to use as a glue applicator.
3. I read the bible story of the triumphal entry and the students acted it. They kids made a parade behind "Jesus" and the "Transformed Donkey". My parents made the donkey in the picture below. (Tutorial to Come!)